Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mrs Bailey, It's your Birthday!


It's your birthday sis! Thismorning, I started going through my old pictures (and letters...) and I realized that even as much as we clashed (nice word for fought) growing up, there is and always was an irreplaceable bond - a closeness and an understanding that resulted, simply, by being so close in age, sharing a room, sharing friends, and sharing experiences (and spending LOTS of time sitting on the hearth "working out our differences"). You were always a few steps ahead of me - 8th grade to my 6th, Varsity to my JV, top bunk to my bottom bunk, driver seat to my passenger seat. I wailed like a professional mourner when your hamster Twinkle died, and you stood sentinel at my parakeet's funeral in the front yard. Maybe we could have been closer or nicer to eachother - I could have chosen NOT to cut your purple 8th birthday dress with scissors in a fit of jealousy, and maybe you could have chosen NOT to write mean things on the slats of our bunk bed where I would see them every night... but then what would we have to laugh about? Ultimately, I think that is what we've carried forward - the things that were and are so dang funny, and the moments of shared childhood glee and freedom. I'm so glad that those moments were ours, and so grateful for you as my sister.


You & me a long time ago.


At the WTC on our trip to New York in 1996, just us. Remember what mom told us about walking around in the Bronx? "Cover up your blonde hair! It's a Coooooooooooooold wind that blows down Fordham Road...." Yeah, yeah, ok mom...

At the Met on the same trip, right before Sara abandoned us to go to crew practice.


You and your blue nail polish


Hangin out with Amy at Foster's Freeze


Enduring I mean Enjoying another caroling party... (looks like our fellow carolers are having as much fun as us).


Remember when we took the 10' NRS down the SoFo at 9,000 cfs, and they made that obnoxious kid come with us? We weren't really experienced..and a little scared as I remember, but I totally trusted you. Definitely a lot more than the moron who was with us who guided us into the trees above Barking Dog. I guess he got it back when I accidentally pushed him out at Satan's (photo evidence above). oops.


Ali & Paigey girl


In the subway tunnel beneath downtown L.A., when you guys visited me at work! Ben is in utero.


Ali & brand new Ben (I guess he does look a bit larval)


A winning team!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

4 comments:

Ali said...

SUSIE!! I love it! Thank you so much for writing such sweet things for me on my birthday. I love those pictures - so many things to comment on...such as, What's up with the blue nail polish?

I will cherish what you wrote. The sisterly bond, and all the memories (good and bad) mean so much to me.

And, I will have to post the rafting picture that comes after the one you put up. I believe we are both laughing at that kid as he falls into Satan's.

Love you Susie!

Snooze said...

:)))
Hey, was it really 9,000 cfs? That seems a bit high. My memory of those years is getting a big hazy...

I wish I could have found more pics from childhood/high school.. but most of the pictures I took at that time are of the cats, the cats posed in different places, fish, fish in the toilet, my birds and really lame self-portraits.

Sara said...

That was so sweet, Suz! What a lovely tribute! Although as children we didn't all have the same bond, I like to think that now, as adults, we are on equal plane and we've forgiven each other for the past injustices (like me abandoning you in lower Manhattan so I could go to practice). My greatest and most treasured friendships are those I share with my sisters!
Hope you have another great year Ali.
Love,
Sara

Mireille said...

Susie, you should get published. That was a really nice birthday/sisterhood tribute. Happy Birthday Ali!!