Monday, June 4, 2007

Effort Over Victory Indeed!

Despite my best efforts to totally dehydrate myself and fast for three days straight before running my first marathon, I still managed to keep enough food and water in on Saturday to make a marathon attempt. I had major doubts that I would make it very far without hitting a port-a-potty or the wall, but my little friend Immodium did not let me down. Here I am at mile 12, getting ready to take my Power Gel, which I conveniently forgot in the trunk when Lee dropped me at the starting line, but which Erin, my personal trainer, gave to me on the course.Although I kept a respectable pace for a bulk of the race, toward the end the 4:15 pacing group passed me by like I was standing still. Yikes! But...I had no injuries, no chafing, no dehydrating, not even a blister! I was pretty lucky to make it through in 4:26 without getting carted off by an ambulance like some guy I saw at mile 23. Here I am after reuniting with Lee, Erin and Grayson at the finish. Yes, I was that tired. After about 30 minutes of recovery I was feeling much better.

Meanwhile, it was party time for Carissa and Derek back at the Wilson's! A trip to the park, a waterballon toss, surf trip to Malibu with snacks on the beach, then pizza!! What a weekend! Thanks Suz and Tyler!


2 comments:

Erin said...

Sara is an absolute Rock Star! I wouldn't have even attempted to run if I was in her condition. Talk about determination!

Mireille said...

Felicidades Sara, I don't know how you did it. I couldn't even do it without the McGreggors. When mom called and said you were running a marathon with the runs I thought, uh oh spaghetti o's - OK I'll stop with the doodoo talk. But you look great!