Monday, January 28, 2008

The REAL Engagement Ring

In case you have not had a chance to hear the story of Carrie's engagement ring, I will now enlighten you. We originally set out to all of the jewelers in the Roseville area and found a rock and ring we liked from Shane Co. I put down 30% on them before we left the store because it was 100% refundable if we changed our minds. Carrie's brother said he knew a guy who knew a guy who is a diamond wholesaler and gave us his number. I tried to call him, but he didn't pick up. I left a message. However, we decided that we didn't want to wait so we went back to Shane Co. and paid off the rest of the ring so the diamond could be set. They told us it would be a little over a week.
Right after that we got in touch with the diamond wholesaler and decided to see what he had to offer. We met with him and despite his crappy office and his love of Carrie's hands ("You have the most beautiful hands I have ever seen.), we found a really nice diamond for substantially less than a diamond retailer would charge. We decided that we wanted that diamond and also picked out my wedding band.
Problem was, we still had a completely paid for diamond and ring at Shane Co. They had been the nicest place we had been to and had not been at all deceptive to us. They had no gimmicks, which is partially why we liked them. I was sure that would change when I informed them I didn't want the ring anymore. We drove back to Shane Co. and I went in. Carrie was too scared and stayed in the car. We decided that if they started to hassle me that I would say that we had broken the wedding off and that was why I didn't need the ring anymore.
Luckily, when I returned the ring, they were still really nice. They asked why I wanted to return the ring and I told them that I had found a better deal (so much for our big lie.) The lady had me fill out an evaluation form as she processed the return. Then, as she handed me all the reciepts, she gave me a card and said it was a gift card. I thought, "That's nice, they gave me five bucks to get me back in here." When I walked out of the store though, I opened it up and saw it was for $100! Now that is the type of business I like. They gave me money for returning their merchandise. (We went back a week later and I got Carrie a pearl necklace, earrings and a bracelet for about forty bucks cost to me after taxes.)
Well as you can see, on the left is Carrie's engagement ring and on the right is my wedding band. Her ring is a .60 carat round cut with a white gold band. Mine of course is a white gold band. The main thing I learned about myself in this process is that jewelers really are a different type - they take pot shots at the different stores all the time and give you money when you return their merchandise. Also, wholesalers carry handguns and retailers don't. Finally, I learned I have tiny elf hands and should probably be making wooden toys. My ring size is an 8. Seriously. The pictures don't really do Carrie's ring justice - that thing is really nice looking.


Also, now that we are a month into the wedding planning, I just have this to say...

3 comments:

Ali said...

Beautiful Kirk! I think you also need to borrow Dad's "Fun-Meter" button that you can pin to your shirt each day.

And yes, you have small elf man hands. Jeremiah wears a 13 and I am almost ashamed to say I had my ring re-sized last year to a 7 and1/2. Ouch.

Snooze said...

Beeeeeuutiful!!! I love it! Now I finally have the whole story. BTW I think Tyler wears a size 8. I don't know though.. He lost his ring like 6 or 7 years ago. Are you getting a wedding band to go with carrie's ring too?

Kirk said...

Yeah, we are getting a wedding band for Carrie. That is something we will do later. We still don't know if we're gonna get a plain one or one with diamonds...