Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Downtown Surprise

I took a walk the last week, and stopped in at the Los Angeles Public Library, as I often do, to see if there was a new exhibit on the second floor. But before I got to the exhibit (which was still the old one), I came upon this humongous Christmas tree in the second floor rotunda. It was HUGE! I walked over to it, circled around it a few times, and then just stood there and smelled it for a few minutes. The next day I brought my camera and took a picture of it. I didn't think that the city of Los Angeles condoned or funded symbols or religious significance (which to me, the evergreen Christmas tree is), so I was pleasantly surprised to see this one. Maybe they decided to stick it on the 2nd floor beneath the politically incorrect historical murals (of the Spanish priests converting loin cloth-clad native Americans/Californians). Who knows for sure.. But I do like the tree.


See how big it is compared to that guy?

The rotunda has a really cool ceiling. And globe chandelier.

Looking down into the bowels of the library. The Escalators go down like 6 floors. And straight across there is a big sky walk where you can go read.

1 comments:

Ali said...

A little respite from the city, I say, and interesting that they hid it up on the second floor.